Friday, July 22, 2016

Local Man Completes Journey Around Sun

I usually try to keep a low profile on my birthday. It's not that I don't like the attention; I just don't want anyone to feel like they have to go out of their way to make me feel special.

But my friends and family have already done that on their own (they're so great), so what the hey--today's my birthday!

Image credit: Meme Generator

Just like on New Year's Day, when my birthday comes around I like to make resolutions and reflect on how far I've come.

And I've come a long way--literally.

Every year I've been alive the Earth has traveled 584 million miles around the sun. Today I complete my twenty-seventh orbit, putting me at 15.768 billion miles. That's an accomplishment.

And no, it doesn't look like this. I would know.
Image credit: Pics About Space

But wait, there's more! I get extra mileage from the Earth's rotation, too. My slice of the planet--approximately 40 degrees north latitude--is about 19,014 miles around, and I cover that distance every single day just by sitting here. That doesn't sound like much, but it adds up: in twenty-seven years of rotation (accounting for leap days), I've covered 187,516,068 miles.

So, not counting all the traveling I've done by foot and vehicle on Earth, I've already gone over 15.9 billion miles.

For a little perspective, Pluto is only 4.67 billion miles away.

No wonder I'm so tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...