Friday, July 15, 2016

Let's Let Each Other Enjoy Things

Amid the barrage of depressing news stories lately, it's refreshing to see media outlets report on fun things now and then. While some might complain that it's not "real news," I think our journalists do us all an important service by running stories on things like adult coloring books, Pokémon Go, and, most recently, the Nintendo NES Classic Edition. The comment sections of these stories show that many people appreciate this lighthearted approach to the world. But there are always a few party poopers in the bunch.

"People who do [or like] this need to get a life," some say. Or, another favorite: "These people need to  grow up/get a job."

"All these problems in the world and people are [insert activity here]."

"The world is the mess it is because adults can't take responsibility."

Then there are these delightful people:

"I don't understand how an adult can like [insert childish activity here]."

"Grown men at the [toy store/game store/arcade/etc.] are creepy."

"You like [childish activity]? What are you, five?"

Image credit: imgflip.com

Certainly, there is an argument for balance in life. Responsibility, moderation, fiber intake--these are all important things. But I'm not talking about that right now.

I'm saying it's okay for grownups to enjoy things children would like, too.

I surprise people sometimes when I tell them I still play with Lego. Notice that word: still. As if I was supposed to stop at some point and didn't get the memo, or disobeyed a social order, or something. At what age did I have to put my Lego bricks in the closet or on eBay?

Image credit: ifunny.co

But it doesn't stop at Lego. I love cartoons, picture books, graphic novels, Disney movies, video games--the list goes on. And I've raised the eyebrows of many a responsible adult for openly enjoying those things.

Well, I do a pretty good job at taking care of my family, staying up-to-date on bills, and getting involved in my community, but pardon me for having other interests than drinking beer and shouting at a television screen.

Geez, guys, get a life.
Image credit: The Odyssey Online

Really, though, who decided it was normal to wear a favorite sports team's jersey and hit the bar, but weird to cosplay at an anime or sci-fi convention?

Who decided it was okay to spend an hour watching Netflix to unwind after work but not okay to spend that hour playing video games?

Who decided I could build an engine in my garage but not a Lego sports car in my living room?

Here's what everybody needs to understand: We're not all athletes. We're not all entrepreneurs. We're not all mechanics or cooks or musicians. But as scary and dark as the world is, there's something in it for each of us to enjoy--and we need that now more than ever before.

So let's loosen our ties and let down our hair a bit. Let's all pour ourselves a bowl of Lucky Charms. Let's leave the numbers and charts and business at work and remember how to play.

Let's just let each other enjoy things.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy how you say "graphic novels" like a grown-up... Whoa, wait! You like Lucky Charms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Comic books" are just so mainstream. *pushes hipster glasses up*

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...