Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Warped Plastic #44


At a sleepover one Saturday morning nearly twenty years ago, I woke up to a friend turning on the TV to a new show: Spongebob Squarepants. I couldn't have known then what a presence Spongebob would go on to have in our culture or in my life; my friends and I just laughed as he and his underwater friends competed with Sandy the squirrel over whether land or water critters were better.

Over the coming years I laughed some more as Spongebob flipped Krabby Patties, bothered his next-door neighbor, and repeatedly failed boating school. I grew up with that happy yellow sponge.

In the wake of Spongebob creator Stephen Hillenburg's passing earlier this week, I wanted to pay tribute to the man whose work defined such a large part of my childhood. 

Thanks for the laughs, Stephen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...