Thursday, March 8, 2018

A Lego Graphic Novel, Shelves of Books, and More Fun Things to Come

So many ideas, so little time.

My new webcomic, Peculiar People, has had a great response so far. Thanks to all of you who have liked it! I'm excited about this new project and look forward to seeing what it becomes.

But it's only the tip of an iceberg--which both invigorates and frustrates me.

I'm trying so hard not to fall to Shiny New Idea Syndrome. Over the years I've learned to harness it as a motivator rather than a detractor: when a great new idea comes, I usually push myself a little harder to finish whatever project is in its way, rather than fill my figurative shelf with half-finished novels and Lego builds. And where I can, I multitask--hence my now two webcomics and weekly scripture illustrations (also, I'm insane. There's that, too.).

Still, I have too many corpses of abandoned projects haunting me. And this time of year, when the weather starts warming and the days grow brighter, I tend to get a flood of inspiration and am the most susceptible to Shiny New Idea Syndrome.

But it helps to talk.

So, here is a non-specific and noncomprehensive list of things I want to do. You, as a reader, get a little peek at what's to come, and I get to let off some of this creative steam by talking about some of the ideas I really, really want to get to but can't work on quite yet. It's win-win!

What can you expect in the future? Here are some of the things I've got up my sleeve:

--Another Lego comic, but one that follows an actual story and will be more serious than my other comics. After I've produced enough installments, I may want to publish it as a graphic novel, too. I tried my hand at something like this in high school, but I only got four chapters in and the references are stuck in 2004, so I'm going to make something new and (hopefully) more timeless. The main obstacle to starting this project is the need to sort my Lego collection and establish a more permanent work space.

A shot from my first Lego story, Jellybean

--A series of Lego explainers on subjects I know a lot about, like LDS beliefs, chess, and buying contact lenses. This probably won't be a regular thing--just something I make new installments for whenever I find the time. But I think readers would find the Lego format eye-pleasing and accessible.

--A Lego graphic novelization of my own current book project. The novel I'm writing right now was actually inspired by Lego in the first place, so I feel like this would be a fitting return to roots. I'll most likely wait on this project until the book is published, though--or at least finished. That gives me more motivation to push through the drafts!

Lego Philo approves.

--Books. Lots and lots of books. Online, I've been focusing on the Lego stuff so long I wouldn't be surprised if most of my followers didn't realize I'm actually writing a book. I just don't talk about it a whole lot right now because I can actually publish a comic every week and readers are more interested in that than in characters and a world they haven't gotten to know yet. I'll be more open about my novel as it gets closer to completion and publication, though. In the meantime, I'm trying to push myself to finish as quickly as I can. My goal is the end of this year . . .

. . . Which is good, because I have a whole career's worth of other novel ideas stashed in a notebook, which include elements like a Jonah-esque sea monster encounter, a talk show in the underworld, and bionic children locked in competition. That's all in addition to the sequel, two prequels, and "Choose Your Own Adventure"-style spinoff I have planned for my current novel. Yikes!

--All the writings. But wait, there's more! I've got a bunch of smaller writing projects planned, too, from essay collections about the things that made me who I am, to short stories starring characters like a courageous pizza boy and a freelance writer with a dark past and a shady clientele. I'll probably do one of these between each novel draft, or something, as a way to refresh myself. Maybe I'll even throw a fan fiction into the mix (filed under "just for fun," of course).

Image credit: Know Your Meme

Okay, that's enough for today. I definitely, frustratingly, won't get to the bottom of my idea list before more ideas barge in, but that's also part of the fun. I'll always have something to create.

I'm working on establishing an effective balance between my creative projects, my full-time job, my family, my health, and other responsibilities and interests, and that's the main hurdle in my path right now. But I'm making progress, and in the meantime, it helps to talk about these ideas, at least. Thanks for indulging me today, and thanks for all your continued support. I can't wait to show you my finished work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...