Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Ten Minute Word Vomit: What World Peace Looks Like to Me

Things have been pretty quiet on the blog lately--minus the weekly webcomic updates--so I thought I'd give you all a little update on what I'm doing.

I'm still writing every day, though in small spurts rather than the BIC (Butt In Chair) time I'm used to. It's actually working out better than I thought it would: I get to think about my writing while I'm out and about, then when a line or two of words come to me, I can open Google Docs on my phone and get those thoughts down. The pages add up surprisingly fast.

My main endeavor recently, though, has been a new job in customer service. This month I started with a company that sells contact lenses, and even though that may not sound terribly exciting at first, I've loved it so far. Every morning I wake up with a mission to go help people see, and it's so rewarding getting to talk to people all around the country every day.

I'm still not as good as this guy, though.
Image credit: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

One of the best things about my company is that, while we do deliver a product, what we sell is service. I have the power in my position to truly help people, and I don't have to ask a supervisor if it's okay to do A, B, or C to make my customers happy. I'm learning to think more creatively about how to serve people, and I feel like I've already grown a lot as a person from doing that.

But as great as the job is, still nothing beats coming home at the end of the day.

I walked in last night to find my kids digging for dinosaur fossils in a sand table. They made a mess, but they were having so much fun. After dinner, I even joined them.


These are the moments to remember.

And this is what world peace looks like to me.

While the Internet is busy falling to pieces over NFL players and Presidential tweets, each of us have people in our real lives to love. That's not to say the online flavors of the week aren't important--open dialog on serious issues is a vital channel for positive change, too.

But man, imagine a world where, for just one hour, we all came home, put down our phones, turned off the computer, and just loved the people in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...